Friday, August 2, 2013

Days 82-86 - Philadelphia

So obviously I didn't post anything during the week at my parents' house. This was for a lot of reasons, but primarily because I was in shutdown mode for a large part of my time there. So besides just resting and relaxing a lot, here are the highlights:

Monday, I got the mirror on my car replaced after it got hit by another car up in Newport. My mom and I went down to my aunt's house and went through a bunch of her sewing stuff and fabric. She's trying to downsize and I'm looking to do more sewing, so it worked out for both of us.

Tuesday, my dad and I took a tour of Citizen's Bank Park, where the Phillies play. It was pretty incredible. It was a game day, so we couldn't go into the clubhouses, but we did get down to the field and the dugouts. We also went to the media room, the press box, the TV and radio broadcast booths, the Hall of Fame club, and the Diamond club.

Wednesday, I had breakfast with my best friend from elementary school and her two boys. She and I lived on the same street growing up, so we spent a lot of time together. It was great catching up with her. Wednesday night, my "aunt" and "uncle" came over for dinner. This is a couple that I grew up vacationing with. They have been friends with my parents since long before I was born. And their daughter is the one I stayed with up in Vermont. I really enjoy seeing them whenever I can.

Thursday night, my dad and I went to the Phillies game. It was the night that Brad Lidge retired as a Phillie, so it was pretty special. The Phillies didn't do so well though. They were up 1-0 going into the ninth and then Papelbon blew the save and the Braves scored twice. Then the Phillies loaded the bases in the bottom of the 9th with no one out and still managed not to score anyone. Ugh. So disappointing.

Anyway, that's the highlights. I also found out about 2 more people that I know that both died - one on Wednesday and one on Thursday. One was a fellow stage manager that I knew from Austin - she hired me for my first stage management job after I left Dell, so I'm forever grateful to her. The other was a former colleague of my dad's, who became a good family friend. I went to elementary, junior high, and high school with his son. So that makes 3 deaths in a week, and 4 deaths overall on this trip. Pretty sad.

I'm staying tonight with my best friend down in Wilmington, Delaware. Through a quirk of logistics, we're heading back up to within 10 minutes of my parents' house tomorrow morning to go to the funeral of our friend's brother that was killed a week ago, so that will take up the majority of tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment