Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Day 91 - Washington DC

Today was a good day, a very good day. I'll start at the end for reasons that will become clear imminently. I'm staying tonight with my cruise friend, Julie. She contacted me a couple of days ago to let me know that another cruise friend, Charlotte, from Norway was going to be in town at the same time, so she'd be staying here too. How convenient!

So this morning, I left Baltimore around 8 AM and drove straight down into downtown DC. I met Charlotte at the start point for today's volksmarch. I knew we were going to do the Mall walk, but I wasn't sure if we'd do the 11K option or the 17K option. We ended up doing the 17K option. Including all of the additional little detours we took, we walked a total of almost 13 miles. Wow. Legs were so sore by the time we were done. But we got to see almost everything. In order:
Department of State
Lincoln Monument
Korean War Memorial
Reflecting Pool
World War II Memorial
Washington Monument
Martin Luther King Jr Monument
FDR Monument
Jefferson Monument
Smithsonian Castle
Capitol Reflecting Pool
Capitol
Supreme Court
Union Station
US Navy Memorial
Ford's Theatre
Freedom Plaza
Treasury Building
White House
Eisenhower Executive Office Building
Constitution Pond
Vietnam Memorial
Albert Einstein Memorial

Long day, but really great. It was fun doing the walk with someone else too. Charlotte and I have only been on one cruise together and we didn't hang out together on that cruise all that much. So we had the opportunity today to really get to know each other. It was great.

After we finished up with the walk, we drove to pick up Charlotte's suitcase and then drove past the Pentagon (with an inadvertent detour past Reagan Airport) on our way to Julie's. After much needed clean up, Julie, Charlotte, and I went out to 1789 in Georgetown for a great dinner. Julie had arranged for us to attend a dinner with a local Meetup club. That was quite fun. There were 8 of us total and we had a great meal. I had salmon crudo, a seafood lasagnette, and halibut over lobster farro. Oh, and a peach goat cheesecake for dessert. Everything was great.

Exploring a couple museums tomorrow and then dinner and drinks (separately) with 2 of my favorite people named Allison. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment