Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Day 104 - Savannah

Pop quiz:
Q: How does one survive a 7 mile walk around Savannah in August?
A: With a lot of water and frequent air-conditioning breaks.

I left Hilton Head this morning at 9:30 and drove down to Savannah. I wasn't sure whether I would do a volksmarch or do a trolley tour around town. I left it up to the weather. And when I say that, what I mean is that I left it up to whether it was going to rain or not. Low chance of rain today, so I went with the volksmarch. It was a really good walk, but as previously implied, was a bit warm. I did survive though.

The city is beautiful. I love how it's set up with the squares throughout. At first I thought they were going to be weird and cause traffic issues, but it's so nice having so many mini-parks throughout the city. Each one has its own character. Some really beautiful architecture here too. I went into 2 houses - the Isaiah Davenport House and the Andrew Low House. Isaiah Davenport was an architect and designed and built his house before getting business around town. It's a nice house, but not over the top. And it didn't have pocket doors, which was weird. Andrew Low was the father-in-law of Juliette Gordon Low, the founder of the Girl Scouts. His house was built about 20 years after the Davenport house and the house is definitely more upscale. The house also has many more pieces of furniture that are original to the house. The Davenport house doesn't have any original pieces, where the Low House has many.

Savannah very obviously relies heavily on the tourist trade. There are trolleys, carriages, and tour groups everywhere. But the difference between a city like savannah and a city like Las Vegas is that firstly, the tourism is built on actual history, and secondly, I feel valued as a human being, not just a wallet. Call it southern hospitality or whatever, but I like when random people on the street say hello to me without trying to sell me anything. 

I finished up the walk around 4:45 and drove over to my apartment for the night - another airbnb reservation. After a much needed shower, I was looking for some dinner. After a little Internet research, I decided on the Lowcountry Boil from Bobo's Seafood Market. The place is one of those hole in the wall places that only locals know about. No tables - only to go food. But cheap and good. Check out the picture. It was a total of $8, and that includes tax. 

So much food! Shrimp, potatoes, corn, sausage, there's even a whole crab buried in there. Highly, highly recommend. 

Tomorrow I'm making the drive down to Disney World. Super excited!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment