Friday, August 9, 2013

Day 93 - DC to Fredricksburg, VA

Oh my goodness. So so tired. I'll try to get as much of this out as possible before crashing.

I drove Charlotte over to Reagan airport first thing this morning. She was picking up a rental car for the next leg of her trip. I said goodbye to her at the airport. It was so great hanging out with her and Julie over the past couple of days.

From there, I drove down to Mount Vernon. I had never been there before - it was interesting, although I do like Monticello better. And it was hot. So so hot. I did a normal admission ticket and added on the audio tour, which gives information on the outlying buildings. The actual house is a tour with 5 or so guides inside to tell the group about the specific rooms. They do kinda push you through though. There's not really a lot of time for questions since the next group is coming up on your heels.

After Mount Vernon, I drove to Mom's Apple Pie in Occoquan, where I bought 4 slices of various types of pie. And yes, I did eat one of them for lunch. It was delicious!

I continued to drive further south, but traffic was absolutely atrocious. Apparently, that's the way all of 95 was today. I went to Potomac Point Winery and tasted some good wines, but they don't ship to Texas either.

Because of the traffic, I was behind schedule, so I skipped a couple of my planned stops, and went straight to the Kenmore Plantation in Fredricksburg. The Kenmore Plantation was owned by George Washington's sister and brother-in-law. The house was fine, but I wasn't a fan of the tour guide. She obviously had a lot of information, but was so random in her delivery about it. In one breath, she'd talk about the plaster ceilings, what got locked in the closet to prevent theft, and how the master of the house was on the local committee to improve security. Plus, my feet hurt and I was exhausted, so there's that.

I'm staying at an airbnb reservation tonight. I found some Thai food for dinner and then folded my laundry that I washed in DC, but didn't get around to folding. And now, I will sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment