Monday, August 5, 2013

Day 89 - Wilmington, DE to Baltimore

It felt so weird to be back on the road today. After so much unstructured time over the past week and a half, having a schedule today was very odd. I hit some good stuff though. This wasn't a leg that I had originally planned out. I was supposed to stop over in Lancaster in between Wilmington and Baltimore. But when that got cut out, I had to change my plans. So I only planned this leg a couple of days ago. I used to drive down 95 to get to and from college, but never bothered to check out the various sights along the way.

First up was the Hagley museum in Wilmington. It's where the duPont company was started and includes the original homestead of the duPonts. Another interesting historic home. The whole area was very well done. It was a $14 admission fee, but there were a ton of things to see. Lots of stuff around the homestead as well as the workers' homes and factory buildings. There was a bus that took visitors around to the various locations on the property. I ended up spending much longer there than I had originally planned.

I then hit up one winery - Boordy Vineyards in Maryland. I really enjoyed their Pinot Grigio, but they don't ship to Texas. Boo. Oh well.

Last stop was the Hampton National Historic Site. It's another historic mansion, this one from the 18th century and operated by the National Park Service. Now, my planning spreadsheet said that the house was open for tours every day of the week, but apparently, that changed back in April, so it's now open for tours only on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. And I wasn't aware of this until I showed up. So I only had the opportunity to walk around the grounds and take pictures.

I headed down into Baltimore and found the place where I'm staying. It's an airbnb reservation - an amazing loft in downtown Baltimore. I have a few really packed days ahead of me, so here's hoping I can fall asleep soon and get some rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment