Sunday, August 18, 2013

Days 101 & 102 - Wilmington, NC to Charleston

I'm getting a little lazy with posting, aren't I? Apparently, I can't be bothered to post 2 days in a row consistently. But I have a good excuse for not posting last night - it's called wine. Lots and lots of wine. But I'll get to that.

So I stayed Friday night with Diana in Wilmington. She had such plans for us for yesterday - the beach, a historic tour, out dancing, all sorts of stuff. But then it rained. And rained and rained and rained. Did I mention torrential downpour? So instead of heading to the beach, we slept in. We finally made it out to a local tavern for an early lunch, with mimosas, so we decided it counted as brunch. In the torrential rain, we walked around downtown briefly before we both called it quits.

We went back to the house, dried off, called a cab and headed for a water-front bar. That's where the wine started. Now, among cruise friends, everyone has things their known for. Diana is known for champagne parties. I'm known for red wine. Oh, and secondarily, we're both known for the other (Diana for red wine, me for champagne parties). On the Halloween cruise last year, our "official" champagne party totaled 37 bottles, and our unofficial, "low-key" champagne party totaled another 19. True story. So when we decided to hit the wine yesterday, we all knew where it was headed.

We went through 2 bottles of wine at the water front bar and then called the cab to take us over to a local tapas-style restaurant. We ate a bunch of food there and got through one more bottle of wine. One of our mutual cruise friends somehow suggested via facebook that we start making phone calls, and we totally jumped on it. We made about 20 phone calls while at the restaurant before both of our phones died. We then took a cab back to Diana's house, charged our phones and made about 10 more calls. I promised a special shout out to Phil for providing us with at least one missing phone number. We didn't get to call everyone we wanted to because we didn't have their numbers. But it sure was fun. Got to talk to a bunch of friends, even briefly.

Since we weren't able to do everything we wanted yesterday, we made up for it by going out to breakfast this morning, which pushed my departure time back 2 hours. I ended up cutting out a vineyard and one historic home I was going to go to, but I still made it to the Boone Hall Plantation. A very well done destination. I took the house tour, then the plantation tour (on a trolley that proceeds around the entire still-working farm), and then the self-guided slavery life tour. Lots of great stuff to see. There were a couple things I missed cause they were closing.

I'm staying tonight with my friend's father in Charleston, SC. After I arrived, we visited for a bit and then went out for dinner - how I missed Greek food!! And then he drove me around Sullivan's Island and the Isle of Palms. Some super neat houses out there. I'm only staying here one night - spending tomorrow in Charleston, but then leaving tomorrow evening to head further south. Hopefully this big rain storm won't derail my plans too badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment