Thursday, August 8, 2013

Day 92 - Washington DC

I wish I could stay in DC longer. I have more things I want to do and more people I want to see. Unfortunately, my time is up and I have plans to keep.

I slept in a little bit this morning - I was exhausted after yesterday. Charlotte and I drove into the city and walked over to the National Museum of American History. Much of the museum is under renovation, but what is open is really interesting. There's a really interesting idea on food in the US, exhibits about American wars, transportation, and money, and the original flag that inspired the writing of the Star Spangled Banner. Having just been at Fort McHenry, that was cool to see again. I do remember seeing it at some point as a kid, but I don't remember when. It has been moved since then and no longer hangs, but instead has a great display. The last exhibits we saw were my favorites - about the first ladies and the presidency. Love it!!!

We finished up there at 1:15, only 15 minutes behind schedule, and headed over to lunch at the Native American Museum. They have a great cafe there is lots of traditional native american foods. After lunch, we split up for the afternoon and Charlotte explored more of the Smithsonian museums, while I headed over to the Newseum. I got there right around 2:30 and the museum closed at 5:00, so I didn't have a ton of time. I could have spent all day there - so much to see and experience. I loved the Kennedy exhibit, the 9/11 exhibit, and the Pulitzer Prize winning photographs exhibit. There were a couple exhibits that I barely had time to browse through.

By 5:00 when the museum closed, I had about a mile walk back to my car and my feet were killing me. I think I need a new pair of walking shoes - hopefully I can figure out a place to pick up a pair tomorrow. I made it (slowly) back to my car and drove not too far, but further than I was willing to walk. I was so excited to meet my cousin Allison for dinner! I think the last time I saw her was about 2 years ago at our cousin's wedding. We went to Bar Pilar, where we had a couple great beers and some great food - beet salad, calamari, roasted potatoes, and duck confit. It was great catching up with her!

I then had one more appointment, to meet another Allison - my friend Ally from Austin theatre, for drinks. (Please excuse my incorrect punctuation in that last sentence. I'm too tired to go back and figure out what it should be.) We met up for drinks at The Tombs, which is actually underneath 1789, where I went for dinner last night - how funny is that? We didn't stay long - we were both exhausted, but it was fantastic talking with her. She's a congressional intern, which is pretty cool, and we talked a lot about Texas politics. Her mom is really involved back home, so I'm excited to get in contact with her and get involved in some causes in which I really believe sometime this fall. It's a critical time for Texas politics and I definitely feel called to contribute what I can.

The next 2 days I'm going to cover a stretch of ground that I used to cover in 2 hours when driving back and forth to school. So many great things to see here in Virginia!!! Wahoowa.

No comments:

Post a Comment