Friday, August 16, 2013

Day 100 - Asheville to Wilmington, NC

Day 100. Who can believe it. 100 days on the road. I know it's cliche, but in some ways, it feels like forever, and in some ways it feels like yesterday. Mostly, it feels like a really long time. I feel very disconnected from my life back in Austin. I know that it's there - not waiting for me, but continuing while I'm gone. It just feels like I've been experiencing this nomadic lifestyle for so long that a sedentary (that's not really what I mean, but I think you get the point) lifestyle seems so foreign to me. In some ways, I'm looking forward to getting back to a more settled life. But it's going to be weird leaving this all in my past. I'll always keep it with me though.

So around 5:30 this morning, I woke up out of nowhere, overwhelmed with anxiety. About what, I have no idea, but there it was. My heart beating fast, mind racing a mile a minute. After a few minutes, a feeling of nausea and lightheadedness overwhelmed me. Took me a little while, but I breathed through it and after 10 minutes or so, it all passed. So weird - and not fun. I got back to sleep and ended up deciding to sleep in an extra hour in order to calm my body. So I got out of the house about 45 minutes later than planned. I also wanted to get to my final destination earlier than planned, so I skipped my first planned historic site and my first two wineries for the day.

I did end up going to the 3rd winery on my list for the day. I kinda wish that I had skipped it - the wine wasn't good and it was out of my way. I also went to the James K Polk birthplace, which was "eh." It was raining, so they weren't doing tours of the restored home. So I just saw the video about Polk, the museum, and took a picture from outside the restored buildings. I've seen enough historic homes - I can imagine what it was like inside.

The Polk site was just outside of Charlotte and the traffic getting out of the area was a bit of a nightmare. Plus it was raining. But I eventually made it out of there. A bit of a long drive, but I made it to my friend's house in Wilmington around 6:30. We went out to a local wine and olive bar for a wine tasting and then dinner. Lots of wine, a little yummy food. Perfect dinner.

Good day. Oh, I also hit 70,000 miles on my car today. That's total, not just for this trip. I think I'm at about 11,000 for the trip so far. Maybe more. I didn't keep track of what it was when I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment