Thursday, May 30, 2013

Day 21 - Big Sur to Monterey

I got a slow start this morning, but that was by plan. I knew that I wanted to go to a specific restaurant for lunch, Nepenthe, and I knew that they opened at 11:30. Checkout time from the hotel was 11:00, and the restaurant was only abut 20 minutes up the road, so that was going to work out well. Unfortunately, my body didn't get the memo about sleeping in, so I still woke up at 6 am. I seriously need to adjust to pacific time soon.

I got breakfast at the hotel at 8 am, got ready in plenty of time, and left the hotel right around 10:45. Made my way up the coast slowly to Nepenthe. A lot of people had recommended this restaurant to me. It was really good. I had a prawn BLT and a slice of triple berry pie. Yummers!

I then continued up the cost further. I'm not sure where the recommendation came from, but, at some point, I had decided to turn off of the PCH and onto Old Coast Road. This is an unpacked road that goes up through the hills and down through some forest areas. It was definitely a tough drive. I saw some really pretty views, but I'm not sure I'd do it again, especially in my car. It needed more of a jeep or something like that. But I made it and it was really pretty.

I arrived in Monterey right at 2:30 and met my friend Joe. We headed over to the aquarium, which I had heard great things about as well. It was by well done. I especially enjoyed the jellyfish exhibits. I had no idea that there were so many different types. After the aquarium, we walked around Cannery Row and then stopped by a local restaurant, The Sardine Factory. I was really impressed by this place. Lots of history and the rooms were supremely decorated. We were fortunate enough to be allowed down to the "Dungeon", a special room for private parties that is right next to the wine cellar and the private wine lockers. Gary was the employee charged with setting up the room and running it, and he told us all about how the room had been built. During construction, a whole tree trunk was lowered into the space and the table and beams were carved out of the tree in the space. Some great antiquities down there as well - a 300 year old candelabra, a 400 year old buffet table, all sorts of stuff. It was really cool.

After we got cleaned up for dinner, we went out to a local place where I had a fantastic heirloom tomato and mozzarella salad and a cup of lobster bisque. So good!!!! We then went back to The Sardine Factory for a drink before calling it a night. Overall, a fantastic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment