Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Day 13 - Las Vegas to San Diego

Ahhhhhhh...... (that's the sound of relief, not of frustration. Frustration would be AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!).

So after my less than amazing experience with Las Vegas, this morning I headed into California. I'll be spending a while in this state, so it was nice to finally get here. I left the house where I was staying at exactly 9AM (who's surprised? no one? yeah.). I then set out towards San Diego. The first 3 1/2 hours of the drive were pretty uneventful. I made a couple phone calls, listened to (and sang along to) the Next to Normal soundtrack, and listened to more of Harry Potter Book 3 (I'm about 2/3 of the way through).

Around 12:45, I hit my first winery of the day - Joseph Filippi in Rancho Cucamonga. It was decent. I also hit up Galleano in Mira Loma and Belle Marie in Escondido. Both good - nothing unexpected at either one. I went to a farm stand in Escondido as well - so nice to get some fresh, local fruit - the strawberries are amazing! And then I hit Orfila Winery - my oh my oh my. I want to live there. It is absolutely my favorite winery so far - friendly people, generous tasting portions, and a view to kill for. I took of advantage of being about 45 minutes ahead of schedule to relax and enjoy my time. I also busted out the fruit from the farm stand and the chocolate from Ethel M to try them along with the wine. So amazing! Oh, and they had cheese for sale, so, of course, I couldn't resist buying some. Here's a picture of the view:



After I was done there, I headed down to a restaurant on Shelter Island in San Diego. I met up with a friend of mine who I hadn't seen in about 4 years. I'm staying with her and her husband here in San Diego. She had a Junior League meeting tonight, so being a Junior League of Austin member myself, I was more than happy to tag along to the meeting and see how they do things. The ironic part is that I've never actually been to a May Junior League meeting because I always fulfill my general meeting credits by February. It was quite interesting how similar things are in how the meeting was conducted as compared to Junior League of Austin meetings. The outgoing JLA president said I got a gold star for going to a Junior League meeting while on my trip. :-)

After the meeting concluded, we went to dinner at the restaurant, Bali Hai - food was amazing and it was so great to catch up with an old friend and hear about everything going on in her life. I'm so fortunate to have friends scattered around the country (and world) that I am able to reconnect with, even when it's been years since we've seen each other.

Looking forward to being a tourist tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment