Thursday, May 9, 2013

Day 1 - Austin to Oklahoma City

My parents were both teachers as I was growing up, so they both had summers off with my brother and I. We utilized this time to do yearly road trips. We would go for about 3 weeks each August. We kept an extensive log of every trip, including details regarding departure, arrival, and stopping information. We always logged the first day of the trip as Day 0 because we didn't do much - it was a purely driving day. But today was a full day for me, definitely not a Day 0. I'm counting yesterday as Day 0. It was the day I moved out. Today was the day I started.

I left Doreen's right on schedule at 9AM, headed north. I went to the Czech Stop in West, TX - good to support the town in even the smallest way possible. I then drove to Burleston, TX, where I planned to hit up 2 wineries. Apparently, I didn't check my spreadsheet, cause I planned to arrive at the first one around 11:45, even though it didn't open until noon. I actually arrived 10 minutes earlier than planned, but the woman was nice enough to invite me in before they opened. She was super nice and showed me around the house that they had converted into the winery. I had never seen anything like that. That was Sunset Winery. I then headed over to Lost Oak Winery, also in Burleston. Everyone that I interacted with all day was super excited about my adventure, especially the ladies at Lost Oak. They were also incredibly impressed with wine journal and amazed that I made it myself. 

After Burleston, I made my way over to Lawton, OK. I planned to do a Volksmarch in Medicine Park. I went to the Days Inn and got the directions for the walk, but, for the life of me, I couldn't find the start point from the directions, and it was raining, and I made a game time decision to not do it. I did drive through Medicine Park and then spent a while driving through the nearby Wildlife Refuge. And from there, I headed up to Oklahoma City. I have a whole house to myself while I'm here, which is really cool.

Tomorrow I'll be checkout out Oklahoma City - I've never been here before, so I'm looking forward to checking out the town. For tonight, I'm totally exhausted and headed to bed soon.

1 comment: